Man Utd went into the final game only needing to avoid defeat to progress to the last 16 of the Champions League. However, goals from Marco Streller and Alexander Frei gave Basel and unlikely victory over the premiership gaints in Switzerland.
Patrice Evra has conceded that United didn’t deserve to be in the last 16 of the Champions league and is unhappy at the prospect of competing in the Europa League.
Evra told reporters – “I feel I will wake up tomorrow and we will have qualified. It feels like a dream,”.
“But it is not a dream it is the reality. We should have woken up earlier in this competition. We deserve to be out.
“Even if it is a friendly, when I pull on United shirt I do my best to win that trophy. But it is embarrassing to be in the Europa League.
“I play for Manchester United to play in the Champions League but some players dream of playing for United in any competition and you have to respect that.”
More bad news for Manchester United on the injury front, Nemanja Vidic could face up to 4 months out with knee ligament damage.
- Manchester United’s Patrice Evra believes David de Gea can become one of the world’s best goalkeepers
- Liverpool Striker Luis Suarez has been charged by the FA for racially abusing Patrice Evra
- FA investigating claims by Man Utd’s Patrice Evra that Liverpool’s Luis Suarez racially abused him
- Champions League & Europa League play-off draws to take place on August 5
- Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham earnings from 2010-11 Champions League revealed